Thanks to the 7.2 million individuals living among the mountain peaks and monasteries of Hong Kong, the city boasts some of the world's tallest buildings. Fortunately, this means there's plenty of room for you to enjoy this storied and historical city. Those who take flights to Hong Kong are immediately greeted with the land's beauty, thanks to the panorama of coastal views surrounding Hong Kong International Airport (HKG). As you explore the Fragrant Harbor, savor the historical significance, considering that the land on which the airport sits had human inhabitants as far back as 39,000 years ago. Before you start thinking of Hong Kong as just an ancient city, read on to learn more about this thoroughly modern metropolis that’s centuries in the making. Then, book cheap tickets to Hong Kong and discover what makes The City of Lights glow.
Transportation from HKG
In one of the world’s most populous cities, HKG has a variety of transportation options for travelers arriving on their Hong Kong flights, so after a long trip, getting around can be a breeze. Modes of transportation include taxis, public buses, rental cars, and even a ferry. The airport is located on an island about 31 km southwest of the city center in Kowloon, and public transport is the most convenient way to make the commute, unless you have quite a bit of luggage to haul; in which case, hail a taxi or sign up for a hotel shuttle service if you’re staying near the airport.
Hotels near HKG
Before you book airfare to Hong Kong, browse our guest-loved hotels in the city’s top neighborhoods and districts and save:
- City Garden Hotel: If you haven’t heard about the famous Causeway Bay district, stay at City Garden Hotel and learn this waterfront area like the back of your hand. Take the city by storm and come back to relax away the day in a luxury bathtub or one of the three hotel restaurants.
- JW Marriott Hotel Hong Kong: In the Central district of Hong Kong Island, this JW Marriott is close to fabulous dining, shopping, and historic plazas. Each suite offers stunning views from large windows and sumptuous bedding. With eight on-site restaurants and a seamy sauna, you may never want to leave your hotel, but the island awaits.
- Harbour Plaza North Point: East of Causeway Bay, this is more than a hotel; it’s an oasis in the big city. Carve out a little time in your itinerary for body treatments and facials in the on-site spa and leave your youngsters in the care of baby-sitting specialists while you treat yourself.
- Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel: This hotel is, in a word, elegant. When you encounter the huge windows letting in natural light and the crisp décor, you’ll feel a sense of peace wash over you. With conference and meeting rooms, three restaurants, and proximity to Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, this is the place to be for work or play.
Things to Do near HKG
It goes without saying, tickets to Hong Kong are your pass to gorgeous cityscapes, lush mountain hikes, and cultural venues galore. We’ve narrowed this list to some of the beloved attractions and sights close to HKG—located directly north of Lantau Island—but by all means, explore the whole city.
- Lower Cheung Sha Beach: When the weather is warm and the tide is right, there’s no better place to be than on the beach. On the south coast of Lantau Island, body surf, build sand castles, or simply splash around with local families and fellow travelers.
- Hong Kong Disneyland®: No matter which continent you’re on, Mickey Mouse is sure to make you smile. Take a turn on wild rides and flights of fancy with your favorite childhood characters. The northeast side of Lantau Island might just be the happiest place you’ve ever visited.
- Discovery Bay: By now you’ve rightly concluded that even small Lantau has a little bit of everything, all wrapped up in a rugged, rainforest package. For a smorgasbord of fine seaside dining, waterfront activities, and easygoing resort vibes, while away the hours in Discovery Bay.
When you’re ready to fly away to a city that brings together the past and present and the East and West, book cheap flights to Hong Kong with Travelocity. We’ll match the best price available, so you can travel with confidence.