As you descend upon the runway in Washington, D.C., you'll notice the dignified monuments befitting a national capital. From the Library of Congress to the Lincoln Memorial and many more, the District is more than a hub of politics. When your Washington, D.C. flight touches down, you’ll learn quickly that this city is a cultural center. North and South converge and the country’s international communities celebrate with vibrant festivals, mouthwatering flavors, and unforgettable experiences you’ll want to return to again and again. Wander through the National Mall—turning back time like the pages of historic diaries and dusty ledgers as you go—and slip into a cozy whiskey bar in Adams Morgan or go glam in Georgetown. The District awaits.
Transportation from IAD and DCA
Flights to Washington D.C. land at one of two airports: Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), located 28 miles west of the District, or Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) in nearby Arlington. From IAD, you’ll be a short walk to L’Enfant Plaza Station, where a bus will connect you to the Metro for a short ride into downtown D.C.
From DCA, catch either the Blue or Yellow line to downtown Washington and explore the city’s top neighborhoods on foot or keep riding the rails. To chart your own path through the land of the free, book one of our car rental options and pick up the keys from one of the on-site rental counters at either airport. Just book plane tickets to Washington, D.C. and start planning.
Hotels in Washington, D.C.
Looking for a fabulous place to rest your feet and dream big at the end of each day? Book Washington, D.C. airfare and add one of these guest favorite hotels in D.C.’s most beloved neighborhoods:
- The Dupont Circle Hotel: Dupont Circle is both vintage and avant-garde, as this “Old City” district happens to be a charming LGBTQ community. The neighborhood’s eponymous hotel is both classic and contemporary with elegant dining options, a fitness center, and gorgeous garden views.
- Omni Shoreham Hotel: Staying here will make you wonder if you’ve been mistaken for a diplomat from the nearby Swiss Embassy. Take a dip in the pool, dine on the restaurant terrace, or take advantage of the location and order a picnic to take to Woodley Park.
- Washington Plaza: This hotel is for those who love bold designs and new experiences. Washington Plaza boasts the former with stunning décor, while its prime location is within walking distance to the National Geographic Society and the National Museum of Women in the Arts.
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington D.C. – Convention Center: Whether you’re traveling for pleasure or coming to town for a conference, this hotel has all the amenities to make your stay easy and luxurious. Walk a few blocks to the White House and see a show at the nearby Ford’s Theater, or join the nightly hotel reception.
Things to Do near Washington, D.C. Airports
While you’re visiting the District, your itinerary is sure to include a few days browsing masterpieces in the National Gallery of Art, paying your respects at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, and amazing your inner child at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. But if you can’t wait to discover D.C. or you need one more culture fix before you depart, book your Washington D.C. flight deals with these attractions in mind:
- The Pentagon: In Arlington, near DCA, you can tour the headquarters of the U.S. Department of Defense. Although you won’t walk away with any national secrets, you’ll have quite the story to tell back home.
- Mount Vernon Trail: Also in Arlington, this waterfront walk meanders from Theodore Roosevelt Island to Mount Vernon, George Washington’s historic home sweet home.
- Sully Historic Site: Directly south of IAD in Sully, visit the plantation where generations of the Lee family, including the Confederate general Robert E. Lee, grew up.
- Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center: Directly south of Dulles in Chantilly, this museum is the perfect opportunity to learn about the history of aviation before boarding your plane home.
It’s time to explore the many sides of America in the bright and bustling capital. Book the cheapest flights to Washington, D.C. with Travelocity, thanks to our price-matching guarantee, and start discovering national treasures from the moment your plane touches the tarmac.